Thursday, June 26, 2008

2a - POINT LOMA


I chose to research Point Loma because I spent the first 10 years of my life there and love so many things about San Diego. I still consider it my real home! I spent alot of time in Point Loma due to my dad being in the Navy, so this area brings back alot of childhood memories for me. A few historical things took place in the Point Loma area, so I wanted to find out more and refresh my memory of things I learned here as a child.


Point Loma is a seaside neighborhood of San Diego. Along North Island and the Silver Strand, it separates the San Diego Bay from the Pacific Ocean. Point Loma has an estimated population of 45,887 (including Ocean Beach) according to the 2000 Census Bureau. Point Loma was first discovered by Europeans on September 28, 1542 when Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, departing from Mexico, led an expedition to explore the west coast of what is now the United States. Another well known landmark is the Cabrillo National Monument, named after Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo.



Like I mentioned in my opening paragraph, Point Loma was a big part of my childhood due to my dad being in the Navy and the ship he was on was stationed there. This area was a source of happy and sad times as my dad would be coming and going. His trips ranged from a few days to a few weeks at a time. There is a distinct feeling and smell in the air when you are entering the Point Loma area. We actually lived in Pacific Beach, so driving westward you would start to notice things change. You could feel the chill in the air from being closer to the ocean, drive past military buildings with checkpoints, and lots of military personnel wondering around in their distinct uniforms. The excitement of being able to see a tiny ship coming towards the harbor is breathtaking. When it gets closer and closer to the dock, it is amazing as a child to witness this. It feels as though the ship is going to hit land when it comes into dock.


I would love to take the drive from my old house in Pacific Beach to Point Loma and see what it feels like now compared to when I was a kid. It is funny how something so small like driving to the North Island area of Point Loma could be such a vibrant memory after over 20 years having the somewhat regular experience. It is just so interesting to see how much things change such as buildings, streets, etc. I would be curious to know if making that drive today would bring back any of those feelings I had as a kid or if it brought on new feelings or emotions. I guess one thing is for sure, I will have to get back down to San Diego sometime soon!


Sources: Wikipedia, IneTours.com, SanDiego.org



I learned from Barrett that Freire spent ten years of his career working for Brazil's SESI (Social Service of Industry). Here, he held many important positions, and helped redefine education in Brazil. The experiences he gained with the SESI inspired the doctoral dissertation he submitted in 1959. He also wrote numerous books on education that are still very influential.










No comments: