Friday, July 18, 2008

5b - Reflection

1. Who is your classmate, what is the component category, what is the name of the choice?
My classmate Meredith Porter, My California authors - Dumas, Major, Chabon, and Goldmark.

2. What is something this classmate said about the choice that relates to any of the assignments in projects 2-3?
This story made me think of my own trips to Berkeley, and how very good Chabon is at capturing the feel of the city. I particular, I remember one journey there with my family, when we got lost and couldn't find our way out of the city. Chabon's amused frustration with Berkeley is something I can relate to.

3. What is something different this classmate said about their choice that you did not realize before when you completed projects 2-3?
I learned a lot about Newport Beach from this story, as I didn't know anything about the area before reading this. I think this piece told a lot of unique details about Newport Beach, such as the funny and pretentious naming conventions of the streets in the planned community.

4. How would you relate this to Freire's ideas regarding dialogue? For example, you went in thinking one idea, your classmate had a different idea. What new idea emerged from this
process?
Even though we all grew up in different places and were raised differently, think alot of us have similar thoughts about common things when it comes down to it. We aren't so different after all it seems after reading a few assignments.

5. How has project 2-3 helped you with the readings of the textbook?
Doing projects 2 and 3 helped prepare us for understanding what we were reading and what parts of the story we would relate to and think about our own encounters in life.

No comments: